pauhaus

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to know if any of you might be able to ID a weed that sprung up last summer at a library garden in Fenton. It kind of looks like lovage to me but the leaves are a little different. Don't have any info on flowers, sorry. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attached Images

• weeds-at-library-garden.jpg

#2 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Paul,
I believe it may be a celadine poppy (Chelidonium majus). I've asked a couple of the other moderators to see what they think it might be.

#3 b00ch0u

b00ch0u

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi Paul and Steve,
I have this in my garden and it is enjoyable to a point. The photo I think is of Chelidonium majus (Greater Celandine) orange sap, smaller yellow flowers, fruit is slender pod is an erect capsule, biennial, reseeds everywhere in fertile shady sites. I let it be where I don't need something else to grow there like the north side of my house next to the wall.

I also have Stylophorum diphyllum (Celandine Poppy) or (Wood Poppy) has bigger yellow flowers, ovoid, hairy seed pod nods over like a poppy. It spreads around a bit less aggressively but I like it here and there.

Thanks for asking this question as it made me look it up to differentiate the two as they look alike at first glance.

Pat

#4 pauhaus

pauhaus

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi Steve and Pat,

Thanks so much for looking into this, I really appreciate it.

#5 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Here's a couple of photos of Greater Celadine in bloom and it's flower. It does like to run around _DSC2064s.jpg _DSC2077s.jpg

#6 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich

Guru

• Moderators
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Shall we make this the folder to post-your-mystery-photo weed? I'm game!
I need help with this one, if it's what I think it is..
I think it's giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida), something we haven't had in this garden where I now see it all over. Makes me think it came as seed blown in from a neighboring property (lot more of that happening of late since foreclosed properties are so often left untended!) Or it may have been seed in the mulch we used -- mulch that had been sitting all summer collecting whatever the wind blew!
I'd just love to know for sure right now, without waiting for it to grow more, so I can curse it by name, to greater effect!

(Anyone wanting to post a photo but not sure how, click "More Reply Options" at the bottom of your input screen, choose your photo file to upload it, and then set your cursor in your message where you want the photo to appear. Steve put more detailed instructions about this in the "Using the Forum" section.

SeedlingIDN4204a.jpg

#7 pauhaus

pauhaus

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hi Janet,

I think you're right on. I found this link and it looks like an exact match.

http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/weed-id/sld006.htm

#8 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich

Guru

• Moderators
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Grrr. I think one of the problems with having a professional gardener tend one's beds is that your garden acquires more types of weeds. I mean, every weed from every garden ends up traveling with the gardener, no matter how hard we might try to clean tools and soles of shoes between places. I look at this giant ragweed now and think, "OK, it may well have come here with ME. Now where else do I see giant ragweed...? If I can remember when I'm in that place to be extra careful washing up..."

Of course, desirable volunteers sometimes travel, too. I just this spring found spring mullein (Verbascum phoeniceum) coming up in a client's garden. I've worked there going on 20 years, all the while growing that Verbsacum at home as a self sown biennial/short-lived perennial (and I loving it, it's so cheerful) but this is the first I've seen it travel with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users