4 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

I can't be at a computer next Saturday for your Instant Answer session but have a question that I would like answered. While walking my neighborhood I've noticed some lawns with a lot of damage, almost like small bomb craters: LawnCraters.jpg Craters.jpg .

While another lawn has damage that looks like small trenches. LawnTrenchs.jpg

Any ideas on what's causing  the damage?

#2 Dsmith74

Dsmith74

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Top one looks kinda skunky to me. I wonder what they're finding this early. Are the grubs that shallow this early in the spring? I guess I've never checked. 

Trails in the lawn are usually voles. With continuous snow cover from November through March, I suspect they had a very good year. 

#3 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I agree that the top damage is done by skunks going after some kind of grub.

Yes, the voles had a very good year. Right now is the time to trap them to control the population.

#4 Michele A

Michele A

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Has anyone ever used the product called Molemax?  I saw it in the Bordine's flyer.  It says it releases castor oil into the soil which the moles "detest".  Is castor oil bad for worms and other good things in the lawn?

#5 Rudy

Rudy

Taken Root

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMidland, MI

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

Same thing (holes) in my lawn now.  Apparently the skunks found grubs.   Mid-Michigan, mid April.  Was told to use Bayer 24 hr grub control about now, then imidaclopid (Merit) in July.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users