• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

We were wondering where people go in the winter to see green and flowers. Which quaint greenhouses and conservatories do you visit?

#2 Dsmith74

Dsmith74

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

About the only one I used to visit regularly was the Lena Meijer Tropical Conservatory (for the butterflies). Grandma used to really get a kick out of those. 

#3 Margaret Thele

Margaret Thele

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationKeego Harbor

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Belle Isle - Anna Scripps Whitcomb conservatory - love the show house and the orchid displays.

Plant Seeds of Hope
Margaret
http://www.sageadvicenursery.com

#4 Michele A

Michele A

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Love to sit at the butterfly house at the zoo.

#5 sam's daughter

sam's daughter

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

We also enjoy going to Meijer Gardens in the dead of winter.  Being in that tropical environment just soothes one's soul!  The fragrant flowers, little birds, and yes, the butterflies add to the ambiance--but just sitting on the bench in the warm air with a waterfall across the way makes the cares drop away.

#6 Nick

Nick

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Made a visit to The Sophia M. Sachs Butterfly House in Chesterfield, Missouri (a suburb of St. Louis) and really enjoyed the butterflies. Took some pictures to share.

The sculptures of butterflies and caterpillars outside were as beautiful as the ones inside.

DSC_1500.jpg   DSC_1504.jpg

It was a very bright sunny and lots of butterflies were active.

DSC_1520.jpg

I forgot that I was outside for quite awhile and my camera steamed up. It took a few minutes to unfog.DSC_1516.jpg

Once defogged, it was just a matter of choosing which butterfly to photograph.DSC_1624.jpg

#7 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

This place is far from quaint but a particular favorite of mine anytime of the year I can get there: the conservatory at Longwood Gardens in Kennet Square, PA.

The following photographs are just a sample of the Conservatory. If in the area a visit at anytime of the year is recommended.

LongwoodConserv0885.jpg

Longwood0881.jpg

OrchidWall0879.jpg

Orchid0882.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users