Photo

Can anyone ID this red pine from a cone?

pine pine cone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gardenfaerie

gardenfaerie

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Red pine family, two needles per bunch, attached by stalk to branch, planted at entrance to a park, so could be landscape or native tree.

It doesn't look like an Austrian, Scotch or Jack pine cone to me--could the cone be immature?

Thanks! Monica

Posted Image

#2 gardenfaerie

gardenfaerie

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

I put the pine cone in the oven so it opened up, and it's either a Jack or Scotch pine. Amazing how different the cones look at the immature stage.

#3 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Nice shot!

I'm having a tough time trying to identify this pine by a photo of the cone and needles alone. The needles appear to be too long for a Scotch/Scot pine (Pinus sylvestris) and not long enough for a Austrian pine (Pinus nigra) the cone doesn't have a curved tip and appears to be too open for a Jack pine (Pinus banksiana). What color is the bark? How long are the needles? 

#4 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich

Guru

• Moderators
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Can't it just be a red pine, pinus resinosa?

Here's a link to the USDA plants database, where I clicked to set the page to a cone image. The map's a scroll down, shows it's native/found all over the northeastern U.S. and Canada...

http://plants.usda.g...ire_008_avp.tif

#5 czaikas

czaikas

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

A. I agree with Steven that we need more info --- bark, needle length, etc.  B. Also need to know where the tree is located --- in Michigan??????   C. If it is a native species and based on Barnes and Wagner, I think it MIGHT be a Scotch Pine (Pinus sylvestris) based on the slightly twisted needles (some of them), the slight spreading from the short sheath, and the cone --- I agree that it is immature, it is definitely not Jack Pine, and it's too long to be just Red Pine (P. resinosa).  Caveat:  Scotch Pine is not native;  it was introduced from Europe and likes it here  :)  and has been generally used as a landscape tree.  It could likely have ended up at a park entrance.  Just my guesses without all the pieces to the puzzle.  Sharon Czaika, Alabaster Bike Path - Native Tree Arboretum (I am not "Breaking Bud" and can't figure out how to change that.)

#6 Dsmith74

Dsmith74

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

The forum software, like many nowadays, classifies posters based on number of posts. "Breaking bud" is the class for fewest number of posts (note everyone in this thread above, except mods, also have "breaking bud" above their avatar). To change it, post often!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pine, pine cone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users