3 replies to this topic

#1 Dsmith74

Dsmith74

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Well, not much of a structure, but maybe it will keep people from strolling across the lawn.

IMG_0534.jpg

#2 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I can't tell what plant that is but maybe these are serving two purposes. One to keep traffic off the lawn the other might be to restrain an invasive plant, like artemisia or bamboo from getting loose.

#3 Dsmith74

Dsmith74

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

It has worked better than I expected to stop cornet cutters, and they look better from the living room window than I expected. I've since added an arc of plastic edging behind them from one sidewalk to the other and mulched between them.

But they're not invasives - just two different types of lavender. Artemesia might be a valid replacement if the lavendins don't pan out, if the slight lift drops them out of zone this winter. We'll see how that goes.

I'd like to put a ground cover of some kind to creep around between them. Full sun, on the hot/dry side (hence the lavender), might take a foot now and then. That sedum ruprestre Angelina that's all over the place this year looks kinda cool, but some of those faddish things turn out to be duds in the long haul. Anybody tried it? Or have other suggestions? Front yard is largely blue/yellow/white except for the blasted crimson kings in the hellstrip.

#4 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich

Guru

• Moderators
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Sedum Angelina is no flash in the pan. Great plant.
Except that it dies back every few years for us (not for everyone) we love wooly thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus) in that kind of spot.
And creeping St. Johnswort (Hypericum calycinum), which held its own for almost 20 years in full dry sun right along the asphalt in our front yard, until we got soft and let the prairie dock seed into that area. The St. Johnswort couldn't take that competition. So now it's still there but it's not the enjoyable "presence" it once was and perhaps could be between your containers. It's evergreen if conditions are good. We never saw a great deal of flower on it -- presumably because its top often died back in winter from salt burn or exposure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users