7 replies to this topic

#1 Dsmith74

Dsmith74

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

So, what tree do you wish you could have if you only had the room/soil conditions/zone/etc.?

If I had the room (or could find one small enough to take up north in the car, preferably bare root), I'd have a tricolor beach like this one I visited today.

IMG_0528.jpg

#2 carolm

carolm

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationann arbor

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Not really a tree, but I've always longed for a fothergilla, which I would let grow to its full height.
But, if forced to pick a real tree, I would say tulip tree. Always found them kind of charming.

#3 Steven Nikkila

Steven Nikkila

• Moderators
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

The tri-color beech is perhaps my favorite tree. At least at this time and place it is. Here's one of my favorite tri-colors in it's full glory.
Tricolor4227.jpg

#4 Curt P

Curt P

Taken Root

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

I would plant a Kousa dogwood!
Kousa4501.jpg

#5 RobRoss

RobRoss

Breaking Bud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Our tricolor beech in the Tip of the Mitt grows much more slowly than downstate (we've got another in Belleville)...it's still very distinctive, but when you buy one, you have to be careful to see them in leaf form first (otherwise you might get a mostly bicolor beech...also, I'm a little worried about the big sugar disease most of the American Beeches here have succumbed to...on Bois Blanc Island, all the large ones are dead and falling, many as big as three feet across....

#6 Margaret Thele

Margaret Thele

Well Established

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationKeego Harbor

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

My wish is for a lot of trees - but one I'd particularly like to have is Michigan's State tree - White Pine. I'd love to have a big one in back as a backdrop to all my perennials...

Plant Seeds of Hope
Margaret
http://www.sageadvicenursery.com

#7 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich

Guru

• Moderators
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I think about trees a lot in the dead of winter. Our granddaughter has understood what I've pointed out about tree branches move in the wind; she points them out to me as we look out the window, or take walks. It's not only cool to think that a child less than a year old can grasp things like this, it's great to be reminded to look up more than down.

I love white pine, too. Such soft needles, and when they get big they can be so picturesque, branches shorter on the windward side...

But if we had room, I'd have an oak. A red oak (I know, that's foolishness in these days and this region, because of oak wilt disease, but the reds grow faster than most of the white oaks, and the color of the scarlet oak cultivars in fall is breathtaking...) The number of birds and animals that hang out in an oak is a never-ending thrill. I also like the way the juvenile leaves look, their color and the texture as they hang on through. And the thought of the tree growing to enormous size and eventually an old ent actually makes me tear up a little. Most of the time 80 or 90 years sounds like enough to me but wouldn't it be great to live several hundred years and see which of the things you've planted makes it to that stage, and who/what receives the benefit?

#8 tlmkozak

tlmkozak

Taken Root

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

I would like a tupelo tree.  I also really adore my Japanese Umbrella Pine and my PG Hydrangea tree form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users