Jump to content

Trashy Tuteur

structure tuteur

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dcsmith796_*

  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

The name Guest_dcsmith796 had to be retired

because of a program glitch. (Dang it!)

See his more recent posts as DSmith74.

- Janet & Steven, Forum Administration -

Wow sure is quiet in here. Everyone must be out in the dirt. Well, I'll throw this up to keep the embers glowing until it rains enough for people to come back.

So there's this Explorer rose called Quadra that's exploring these steps in the back yard. I stuck it there because it was not performing in another location, prior to installing the stairs.
Every time I climb the stairs, it grabs my pants, asking "What do you want me to do?" It clearly lacks purpose, causing it to wander about the yard.

So what should we do? Clearly it needs to go up - there's not room for anything else. While a great arbor or arch would be wonderful, my credit card bill says no way. Even a nice, metal tuteur is out of the question this year. So now what? Well, while rooting around the big box garden center, looking for potting soil without fertilizer or moisture polymers in it (and not finding it) I saw these cheap-o trellises. Ten bucks a pop. Here's one of them.
Hmm... obviously just sticking that in the ground hanging out there in the middle of the yard won't work, but perhaps I can do something with it if I use my imagination. So I bought four of them and headed home.

Step one - cut the protruding cross pieces off of two of the trellises.
Steps two through five - proceed to do a bunch of stuff, forgetting to take pictures. You'll have to use your imagination, but I stood them up together, upside down, with the modified ones opposite each other, standing over Quadra. I then wired them together at the bottom, and tied the tops together with that stretchy plastic plant tape (it was too hard to get the wires around the top pieces, which are close together).

VoilĂ ! Trashy temporary tuteur!

Now, I did have to cut the grabbiest branches off. They were too stiff to tie up to the tuteur. That was a problem, and when a rose has a problem, the rules of IPM (indifferent prickly-thing management) calls for whack 'n chuck as the first step, so off they came. But at least this year's growth will have a place to go instead of flopping all over the place. And for only $40 not including tax, floral tape, and the wire coat hangers I cut up. This is just temporary, of course. Which means it surely won't be there for more than a decade.

#2 carolm


    Well Established

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationann arbor

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

I made something very similar to that with the ribs of an old patio umbrella. Thinking of trying scarlet runner beans and/or lablab on it.

#3 Cricket


    Well Established

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSE MI

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Will look forward to an after pic from both structures.

#4 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich


  • Moderators
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Very cool project!

Had to grin, dcsmith, about "forgetting to take pictures." Steven and I think more people should photo and post what they do, as a help to others. And also so more of us could commiserate over "Dang! Forgot to shoot that" and the irreplacibility of "before" photos.

And re your comment about potting mix:
Too bad there are so many other causes that probably deserve more attention, otherwise I'd organize or join a picket line at the potting mix companies to demand they stop adding fertilizer in everything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users